Police purge on drivers on mobile phones

By Farnham Herald in Local People

MORE than 200 motorists were caught using their mobile phone behind the wheel during a week-long crackdown by officers across Hampshire – including a van driver checking his bank account.

The van driver was stopped between junction five and junction seven of the M27 after using his phone “to see if his final payment had gone through for a court fine issued because he was caught previously using his phone while driving”.

A total of 204 drivers were stopped by roads policing officers from the joint operations unit last week as part of a nationwide initiative to make our roads safer.

The week of action also saw another 17 drivers stopped for being distracted while driving.

Of those stopped, 166 were men, 180 were issued with fixed-penalty notices, 132 were driving cars, and 61 were driving vans.

Most people (130) were pulled over on urban roads, with 55 being pulled up on motorways.

A delivery van driver from Wales was stopped in Rownhams on Wednesday, January 25, for using his mobile phone while driving. He told officers that this was the third time in three weeks he had been stopped for the same offence. He was given a fixed-penalty notice.

Sergeant Rob Heard said: “It is disappointing that still so many people are still taking that risk to use their phones while driving. Many lives are being put at risk by the selfish actions of these people and it is not acceptable.

“Please turn your phone off and put it out of reach so you won’t be tempted. That moment of inattention really is the difference between life and death – it is not worth the risk.”

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C